Re: [Orgmode] org-mode on sloooow computer

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-mode on sloooow computer
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:10:40 +0100

Carsten Dominik writes:
> 8-10 seconds, that is a lot.

Yes, I agree :( On my desktop, it takes a /trivial/ amount of time,
definitely under a second.  But the Asus is much much slower,
especially as most of the system resides on an SD memory card which is
not particularly fast.  I should say that the .org files searched by
the agenda take up about 0.5 MB.

> > When in agenda view, when org-agenda-goto-date is invoked (typically
> > with 'j'), the agenda view is regenerated for today's date
> > regardless of
> > which date I am currently viewing, before allowing me to input a date.
>
> I don't think I can reproduce this.

Which part can you not reproduce?  Even on my fast desktop, if I'm
viewing the daily agenda for May 10th (say), when I hit 'j', I get the
calendar window displayed, the agenda window updates to show the
current date's agenda items and I can then type in a new date in the
mini-buffer.  This happens quite quickly but it *does* happen.

On the Asus, it all happens much much more slowly.  Removing what
seems to me to be a redundant agenda view update would speed things up
tremendously.  It's not unbearable because the benefits of using
org-mode are well worth it but it does mean that I use org-mode more
cautiously on the Asus than I would otherwise.

I will delve into the org-agenda code!

Thanks,
eric

--