[Orgmode] Re: Use with yasnippets?

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Use with yasnippets?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:43:31 -0400

Mark Elston <address@hidden> writes:

> I know someone mentioned yasnippets earlier this month but I can't
> find it.  And I don't know if it answers my question or not anyway.
>
> I have a number of *very* similar entries in an org file.  I teach
> a number of classes and I would like to set up a yasnippet to create
> entries (actually a small tree of entries) for each class.  The
> snippet would have several tab-stops so I can enter the class name
> and lesson number once and have it appear several times in the
> created entries.
>
> However, when trying to actually expand this snippet and navigate
> between the tab-stops, the tab key (naturally) closes up the tree
> it just created and fails to let me enter the second (or subsequent)
> placeholders.
>
> Is there any way of using the flexibility of yasnippets in org mode?

Hi Mark,

It mostly works for me.

I just made the following test snippet:

,----[ test ]
| #name : #+test
| # --
| * $1
|   First thing
| ** $2
|    Second thing
| *** $3
|     Third Thing
| *** $4
|     Fourth thing
| ** $5
|    Fifth thing
|    Done.
| $0
`----

and typing 'testTAB' and repeatedly hitting TAB and entering data gave
me this output

,----
| * one
|   First thing
| ** two
|    Second thing
| *** three
|     Third Thing
| *** four
|     Fourth thing
| ** five
|    Fifth thing
|    Done.
| six
`----

I have the following setup for yasnippets - it's not perfect (because it
messes up forward TAB in tables) but it is working pretty well -- good
enough that I don't want to go back to not using yasnippets :)

(add-hook 'org-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            ;; yasnippet
            (make-variable-buffer-local 'yas/trigger-key)
            (setq yas/trigger-key [tab])
            (define-key yas/keymap [tab] 'yas/next-field-group)
            (flyspell-mode 1)))

(require 'yasnippet)
(yas/initialize)
(yas/load-directory "~/.emacs.d/plugins/yasnippet/snippets")

HTH,
Bernt