[Orgmode] Possible bug with tag inheritance

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: [Orgmode] Possible bug with tag inheritance
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:43:35 +1000

Hi folks,

Today I stumbled across an instance where tag inheritance doesn't seem
to work as I expected it to.

I'm using GNU Emacs 23.0.92.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.7)
of 2009-04-12 on elegiac, modified by Debian, and Org-mode version
6.26trans.

Let's say I have an org file that records all the information for a
particular part of my life. Different parts of the file record
meetings, track projects and record notes and other
information. Here's what it might look like:

* Meetings
** Lunch with John                                               :Restaurant:
   <2009-04-27 Mon 12:30>
** Meeting with Fred                                                 :Office:
   <2009-04-27 Mon 13:00>
* Projects
** Find Higgs Boson                                              :Laboratory:
   DEADLINE: <2009-04-27 Mon>
** Achieve World domination                               :Office:Laboratory:
   SCHEDULED: <2009-04-28 Tue>
** Cook dinner                                                      :Kitchen:
* Notes                                                                :Info:
** Mary's phone numbers
   - 1234-5678
   - 0412-345-678
** Jenny's web page
   - [[http://www.somewebpage.com][Jenny's web page]]

I have customised org-stuck-projects[fn:1] to ignore entries tagged
with the tag `Info'. org-use-tag-inheritance is set to `t'.

If I hit C-a # to list stuck projects I would only expect to see the
entry about cooking dinner listed. The `Notes' headline should be
ignored, as should the notes about Mary's phone number and Jenny's web
page, because they inherit the `Info' tag.

In practice, the `Notes' headline is ignored as expected. However, the
children are listed as stuck projects.

After all this I have realised it's probably more appropriate to use
properties rather than tags to do this sort of thing. Still, the
behaviour puzzles me a bit, so I thought it was worth asking about.

Is this behaviour incorrect? Or am I expecting the wrong thing?

* Footnotes

[fn:1] I had some trouble customising this variable in the usual way,
because the explanation at the end of the customize buffer somehow got
included in the sexp recorded in my .emacs. I deleted that line, reset
the customize buffer and started again, but with exactly the same
result.

--

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/