[Orgmode] Re: org-mode on sloooow computer

From: Rainer Stengele
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode on sloooow computer
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:33:15 +0200

Carsten Dominik schrieb:
> I have just pushed one more optimization which may improve things a bit
> for you, Rainer.
>
> - Carsten

Hi Carsten,

results see here:

before your last optimsation:

org-run-agenda-series                                         1           1.797
        1.797

after your optimisation (see below):

org-run-agenda-series                                         1           1.703
        1.703
org-agenda                                                    1           1.703
        1.703
org-let2                                                      2
1.3900000000  0.6950000000
org-agenda-list                                               1
1.2810000000  1.2810000000
org-agenda-get-day-entries                                    12          1.202
        0.1001666666
org-agenda-get-scheduled                                      10
0.7969999999  0.0797
org-end-of-subtree                                            1533
0.4400000000  0.0002870189
org-time-string-to-absolute                                   1635
0.2360000000  0.0001443425
org-prepare-agenda                                            3
0.2189999999  0.073
org-prepare-agenda-buffers                                    1
0.2029999999  0.2029999999
org-parse-time-string                                         1805        0.188
        0.0001041551
org-agenda-get-timestamps                                     10          0.14
        0.0140000000
org-todo-list                                                 1           0.109
        0.109
org-agenda-get-deadlines                                      10          0.094
        0.0094
org-closest-date                                              240         0.094
        0.0003916666
org-back-to-heading                                           2206        0.094
        4.26...e-005
org-finalize-agenda                                           3           0.094
        0.0313333333
org-let                                                       1           0.094
        0.094
org-outline-level                                             1533        0.094
        6.13...e-005
org-agenda-get-todos                                          2           0.093
        0.0465
org-date-to-gregorian                                         480         0.078
        0.0001625
org-agenda-fontify-priorities                                 1           0.078
        0.078
org-get-entries-from-diary                                    5           0.063
        0.0126
org-agenda-skip                                               3220        0.063
        1.95...e-005
org-agenda-skip-if                                            167         0.063
        0.0003772455
org-agenda-skip-entry-if                                      167         0.063
        0.0003772455
org-refresh-category-properties                               2
0.0470000000  0.0235000000
org-get-todo-state                                            335         0.047
        0.0001402985
org-agenda-get-blocks                                         10          0.046
        0.0046
org-agenda-files                                              4           0.032
        0.008
org-get-effort                                                72          0.031
        0.0004305555
org-entry-get                                                 72          0.031
        0.0004305555
org-format-agenda-item                                        74          0.031
        0.0004189189
org-at-date-range-p                                           219         0.031
        0.0001415525
org-get-wdays                                                 150         0.016
        0.0001066666
org-entries-lessp                                             219         0.016
        7.30...e-005
org-agenda-get-sexps                                          10          0.016
        0.0016
org-agenda-align-tags                                         1           0.016
        0.016
org-finalize-agenda-entries                                   5           0.016
        0.0032
org-check-agenda-file                                         14          0.015
        0.0010714285
org-get-property-block                                        72          0.015
        0.0002083333

So it looks like I have come from 1.797 down to 1.703.
And by the way - the times are even now varying between
org-run-agenda-series                                         1           1.563
        1.563
and little over 2 seconds.

Will I see much improvement when archiving a lot of subtrees inside the org
file?

Thanks so much for this special "Rainer" optimisation ;)
I also dream of always carrying around a small netbook running mainly emacs
with org-mode ...

Rainer