Re: [Orgmode] Suggestion for demoting collapsed branch

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Suggestion for demoting collapsed branch
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 09:36:34 -0400

Kevin Haddock <address@hidden> wrote:

> When a branch is collapsed (e.g. invisible), demoting the header should
> demote all the subnodes also.
>
> For example, if I have:
>
> * a
> * b
> * c
> ** ca
> ** cb
> ** cd
> * d
>
> and I have the cursor on * c and hit alt-right it would just demote *
> c to ** c, but if c is collapsed ('* c...') hitting alt-right on it
> should demote * c to ** c but when I expand * c, ** ca should now be
> *** ca, ** cb should be *** cb, etc...
>
> This way I can quickly demote whole sections of the tree by just
> collapsing them.  I would think this would be the expected behavior.
> Perhaps I am missing a mechanism to easily do it.  I am pretty new to
> org-mode.

Have you tried M-S-<right> on the heading to be demoted? Or from the Org
menu, Edit Structure/Demote Subtree? Eventually, you get the key combo into
your fingers and then it's quicker than "collapse, demote, uncollapse"
would be, although I admit that your idea has a certain elegance -
the fly in the ointment is how hard it would be to implement and that
I am in no position to evaluate.

> Thanks for the otherwise great utility,

Whatchoo mean "otherwise"? :-) Just kidding :-)

Nick