Re: [Orgmode] cannot edit two source code examples simultaneously

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] cannot edit two source code examples simultaneously
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:12:55 +0200

On May 18, 2009, at 8:27 AM, Taru Karttunen wrote:

Excerpts from Dan Davison's message of Mon May 18 09:07:11 +0300 2009:
I think it's more complicated than that: source code loss is also the
motivation for doing something like this. If you are editing the code in the *Org Edit Src* buffer, and get distracted, you may return to the org buffer and mistakenly decide that it contains the latest content. I've
done that two or three times in the last couple of days, resulting in
lost work. That mistake cannot be made so easily when there is only ever one current copy of the code. If you close emacs without C-c ', or your laptop power runs out, then I agree that is bad, but I thought perhaps there might be a good solution along these lines. Maybe an alternative
would be to maintain a work-in-progress message along with the
out-of-date code?

How about this - set the source code with a special overlay/property
when editing it. The property could turn the code into a link to the
buffer and set it read-only.

This sounds like a good idea. However, it seems that putting a read- only property using an overlay does not work - does anyone know why? I'd prefer an overlay over text properties here....

- Carsten