Re: [Orgmode] Setting org-log-into-drawer in a property

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Setting org-log-into-drawer in a property
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 09:46:01 +0200

Hi Daniel,

On May 20, 2009, at 7:56 AM, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

As Carsten Dominik so eloquently wrote on 5/19/2009 1:38 AM:

On May 19, 2009, at 7:54 AM, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

Most of my tasks have only one state change (TODO->DONE), so I like to be able to quickly see my log notes by fully expanding all headings in a sub-tree. Thus, I do NOT use the LOGBOOK property.

However, for repeating items the list of log entries can get quite long. If I fully expand a sub-tree with a repeating task, the log notes push the rest of the tree off the screen. I'd rather if *only* repeating tasks (and perhaps select other tasks) used the LOGBOOK property to keep the log notes hidden in a drawer.

This brings me to my question and possible feature request. The LOGGING property allows us to set logging preference on a sub-tree basis. Is it possible to set the value of org-log-into-drawer on a sub-tree basis, either via the LOGGING property or some other property? If not, would it be possible to add this capability?

That does make sense.

Please use the new LOG_INTO_DRAWER property for this purpose.

- Carsten

Carsten,

I subscribed to this list in April '06, and I remember suggesting the logging feature later that year (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/612 ). The next release (version 4.50) included logging. Incredibly, three years later, despite the explosive growth of orgmode and its community of users & developers, you still implemented my feature request (coincidentally related to logging) within a day!

Three years ago, I eagerly absorbed each new feature. Now, although I'm still an avid user of orgmode, the growth in my personal use lags behind the pace of development, and there are many new features that I have not even touched. In fact, I often can't even keep up with the volume of this list.

Yet, the new features have little or no impact on the features I do use, even though I keep my version nearly at the bleeding edge via git.

I am glad you say this, because when we fail to make the simple core survive, we will have lost our way.

This is just great software design and management!

Anyway, this is my way of saying a profound "thank you" for a great tool and superb support.

Thank you for your nice words.

- Carsten