[Orgmode] Re: Integrating the journaling system with the GTD system

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Integrating the journaling system with the GTD system
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 19:20:49 -0400

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> I keep a journal using the simple journal-mode, and eventually,
> journal entries give origin to new items (projects or next actions, in
> the GTD context).
>
> When you are writing the journal post, and if a project, next action
> comes to your mind, you don't want to switch context and go to the org
> file to add this entry. So, what I thought was to either:
>  * Add each journal file to the agenda list (which could be
>    inefficient, as the list would eventually grow too big, not sure how
>    this would affect performance?)
>  * Copy these entries to the main gtd.org file
>
> The objective is to do it automagically, when saving the file (or in
> the case of the first option, when the file is created).

Why not just use remember mode to record these things?  You don't have
to stop what you are doing - just hit the key sequence to invoke
org-remember and enter the details of your item and C-c C-c and you're
done.

Just create a remember note with a target of your gtd.org file - or file
to tasks.org and use the refile mechanism with ido completion later to
move the task to the right place efficiently.

My setup is described here:

http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Remember
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Refiling

HTH,