Re: [Orgmode] Exporting org to LaTeX to PDF: headings do not convert to

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Exporting org to LaTeX to PDF: headings do not convert to sections
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 06:14:17 +1000

 Thank you for the response.

On May 21, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

The only thing you can do in Org is to increase the number of headline levels to the maximum possible:

#+OPTION H:5

This doesn't work for me.

is I think the maximum you can get.  You cal also create a
LaTeX class with more headline leves and push H even further.
I believe there are some clases which provide at least subsubparagraph.

If you have a good idea how to represent deeper levels in LaTeX, maybe we
can do something clever in the LaTeX exporter.

??????

I just realize that your question provides the answer to a question
I had for a long time:  Why did Bastien implement lower
levels in the LaTeX export as {description} lists instead of
{itemize} lists.  Now I know the answer:  Because the number of levels
in a description list is not limited.

I recently changed Bastien's code to use itemize instead, for
consistence with HTML export.  Fortunately I left the old code
in, with a customization option.  Please try:

(setq org-export-latex-low-level 'description)

So far, this doesn't solve my problem.  Should I then use description lists for all outline entries?

I don't understand why  I  do not see "section" or "subsection", and the sections often come out with bare stars.  Is this also because the number of levels has been exceeded?

Thank you again.  This is the first limitation of LaTeX I have not seen an immediate way around.

Alan