Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org protocol and new frame for remember

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org protocol and new frame for remember
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 11:02:33 +0200

Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> writes:
> My apologies for the initial post fragment. (Note to self: C-c C-c
> binding for jumping to footnote reference does not work in Gnus!)
>
> Let's try this again:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently begun to use org-protocol. I've been using it with the
> intriguing emacs-inspired browser Conkeror.[1] With the help of a nice
> blog post by Tassilo,[2] I have worked out a basic way to send snippets
> from the browser to remember via org-protocol. The great thing about
> Conkeror is that you can invoke org-remember the same way you do in
> emacs (either with M-x org-remember or, via a custom keybinding, with
> C-c r).
>
> I've posted my hacks at the bottom of the org-protocol page on Worg. Any
> advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php#conkeror-setup
>
> (My apologies to Sebastian if these should go somewhere else -- feel
> free to move them!)

Thanks for adding this!
Maybe we'll split the page one day because of it's shear size and add
links to certain setups. But for now I'm glad to see people adding stuff
like that :)

> As I experiment with the fabulous org-protocol, I wonder whether I've
> missed a variable in org-protocol that tells the function
> org-protocol-remember to create a *temporary* new frame (i.e., one that
> pops up above the browser and then disappears after typing C-c C-c).
>
> I know I can set the variable remember-in-new-frame to t, but I would
> ideally like the new frame only for org-protocol-remember and not for
> other invocations of remember. My current solution is to advise the
> function org-protocol-remember (i.e., to set remember-in-new-frame
> locally for that function).
>
> But I thought it might be a nice addition to org-protocol if there were
> a variable that accomplishes this (e.g.,
> org-protocol-remember-in-new-frame). I'd be eager to know if I am
> missing a current way to do this.

Such a variable does not exist. org-protocol does nothing especially
related to  org-remember. org-protocol://remember:/ is just one of the
pre-defined statndard handlers.

But you could as well define your own handler that behaves
differently. Maybe just copying `org-protocol-remember' from
lisp/org-protocol.el as a starting point.

Reading
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-protocol-custom-handler.php
should help (if it doesn't, please let us know what's missing).

Best

   Sebastian