[Orgmode] Donations

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Donations
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:13:58 +0200

Hi everyone,

a while ago I was contacted by one of the members of this
mailing list, asking me if there was a way to compensate
me for the sustained effort I put into developing and
maintaining Org-mode.  It was not the first inquiry I had in
this direction, but this time the author was more persuasive.
The way he put it was that Org-mode did create more value for
him than he ever got out of Microsoft Office or any other
similar and expensive program.  This whole story ended in a
generous donation in exchange for a signed printed manual
and a laminated reference card.

At first this seemed like an odd idea, because I do
develop Org-mode out of passion, craziness, addiction and
for fun.  But it is true that over the past 6 years I have
probably put thousands of hours into this project.

Long story short:  There is now a PayPal donation button on
the website.  Any money arriving there will be used to
keep me in the same happy state that has enabled me to do this
work for the last couple of years, and it will also be used
for hardware that I might need, like the next laptop for my
commute (my main source of coding time) or some mobile
device to help creating a mobile arm for Org-mode.

Make no mistake: Org-mode is "free", both as in "freedom" and
as in "free of charge", and always will be.  But for those of
you who feel that a donation would be a good way to contribute,
this is now possible.

Regards

- Carsten