Re: [Orgmode] Re: Feature request (org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Feature request (org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists)
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 19:59:46 +0200

On Mar 25, 2009, at 7:37 AM, Baoqiu Cui wrote:

Hi Carsten,

Possible solutions:

1. Allow #+begin_example and friends to be indented and remove the same amount of whitespace from all example lines as the #+begin line has.
  This is possible, but would require a lot of work in the LaTeX
exporter.
  It would also cause a lot of problems with the edit-source-code
stuff
  with "C-c '", because we could then no longer use indentation
  functionality while editing the examples.

Option (1) will be implemented in 6.28, option (2), which was implemented
temporarily is deprecated or may be removed.

- Carsten

2. Adapt the LaTeX exporter to work like the HTML exporter, ignoring
  indentation of tables and example.  The, introduce a special list
  item like "- ___" to explicitly terminate a list if this should be
necessary.

I welcome comments on this issue.

Thanks for looking into this problem! Personally I would prefer option 1) if it does not require too much work. Supporting indented tables and
#+begin_example etc. in Org-mode plain lists not only makes list
structure look cleaner, but also fits well in Org-mode's powerful
structure editing functionality (org-do-promote/demote already supports
lot of automatic indentation today, including tables and ": ..."
example lines.).

Option 2) is a very good compromise, because it is cheap to implement,
and, for *most* of the times, people do not need to use "- ___" in their
lists.

The only problem with option 2) is that, to terminate an ordered list
that has N items, do we have to use something like "(N+1). ___"? Number
N+1 here makes the list look a little bad.  Also, "+ ___" and "* ___"
may be required for list item starting with `+' or `*'.

Baoqiu