[Orgmode] Re: I must be missing something...

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: I must be missing something...
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:02:14 -0400

David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

Hi David!

> I've been using and studying org mode for a few months now, and though
> it seems to have great potential, some things still escape me.  For
> example, do my DONE items simply accumulate forever in todo.org?  I know
> there's an archiving feature... do I move those done items manually to
> an archive when I no longer need to see them?

Stuff accumulates and I personally archive subtrees manually once/month.

> Also, how do I manage my projects?  Org mode seems to "want" to put
> everything in one big file.  I know I *can* separate trees by file, but
> it doesn't seem to be very convenient to do so.  For example, if I'm
> visiting a project file, is there a way to get an agenda view on just
> /that/ file without having to modify org-agenda-files?

I recently wrote about this here.
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#LimitingAgendaView
Maybe that will help?

> I know I'm being a bit vague, but so far the basic operations of
> org-mode, which were very fast to use at first, haven't "scaled up" very
> easily to handle my whole life, and I'm not sure how to get there.
>
> Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give,

I've been using org-mode for years and I use it for everything.  A
description of my work flow and setup for org-mode is at
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html in case that's useful.

HTH,
-Bernt