Re: [Orgmode] Keeping a wiki with org-mode

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Keeping a wiki with org-mode
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 01:26:36 +0200

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:
> Hmm, I thought Worg was an approach on using org (in a distributed
> manner, with the goal of contributing to the org-mode project itself)
> instead of an extension to provide wiki-enhancements to org. Or am I
> wrong?

Worg is loosely realated to orgmode.org. We link back and forth, but
stuff committed to Worg will always show up below orgmode.org/worg/.

It's not a wiki though. We push to a common repo, and that repo is
pulled (I think once an hour) and then exported on (or to??) the server
by emacs. That's how the site is kept up to date.

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Russell Adams<address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I wonder what is the best way to implement a wiki with org? I know you
>>> can hyperlink to anything, but what I was thinking was something
>>> automatic, like what WikiDPad does or Tomboy -- like having wikiwords
>>> (CamelCase) automatically linked as you type to a filename in the
>>> system (a specific directory you specify for the wiki). If it is not
>>> possible, it could be a nice addition for a future org version.

There are no CamelCase links in Org-mode for a reason. But there is
automatic link and page creation. I have no problem with this syntax
here:

   [[file:../relative/path.org][Look here]]

   http://orgmode.org/worg
   file:./file.png
   file:somefile.org

You can create the page simply by clicking on the (file) link or
pressing `C-c C-o' while on it.

You go back to the link with `C-x &' later on.

And, automatic link creation can be done the other way round in
Org-mode:

If you visit an interesting place (a web page, email, man page...) you
store a link to that location, whenever you either `remember' something,
or through `C-c L', or click your org-remember bookmark, org-store-link
bookmark, org-open-source bookmark....

In the `C-c L' case you may insert the link later on by pressing `C-c
C-l'. In case you clicked a `store-link' bookmark, simple yanking is
enough.

Hm - `C-c L' and remember are even more usefull. For emacs users _very_
usefull, since you may store usefull links to a place _inside_ a source
file to a file _inside_ a certain projects documentation/todo-file.

But back to the wiki thing: why not use a WIKI when you need one ????

Org-mode is ready to generate online content, yes, but online content is
not ready to cope with full fledged org files (should be feasable, but
no one did it).

Best wishes

   Sebastian