[Orgmode] Re: Keeping a wiki with org-mode

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Keeping a wiki with org-mode
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 14:56:56 -0500

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder what is the best way to implement a wiki with org? I know you
> can hyperlink to anything, but what I was thinking was something
> automatic, like what WikiDPad does or Tomboy -- like having wikiwords
> (CamelCase) automatically linked as you type to a filename in the
> system (a specific directory you specify for the wiki). If it is not
> possible, it could be a nice addition for a future org version.

As others have already mentioned, org-mode does not support CamelCase
words. But it's method for creating links is quite nice and allows org
to function very easily as a wiki.

To make org-mode more "wiki-like," I add the following to my .emacs
file. The first variable has to come *before* org is loaded:

(setq org-return-follows-link t)
(setq org-open-non-existing-files t)

To create a link to a new file/wiki page, I simply type C-u C-c C-l and
the name of the file I want to link to (e.g., a-new-file.org). Org
nicely prompts me to add a description (e.g. "A new file"). The result
is the following link:

[[file:a-new-file.org][A new file]]

Then, all I need to do is place the cursor on the link, hit return, and
voilĂ , I am transported to the new page.

That said, if you'd like something that functions more like a
conventional wiki (CamelCase words, backlinks, interwiki links, etc.),
you can always take a look at Muse Mode.

Regards,
Matt