Re: [Orgmode] org-exp-blocks: what about previewing blocks ?

From: Nicolas Girard
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-exp-blocks: what about previewing blocks ?
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:32:36 +0200

2009/6/18 Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>

On Jun 17, 2009, at 2:40 AM, Nicolas Girard wrote:

Hi all,

currently the code in org-exp-blocks is intended for pre-processing only.
It seems to me like org-mode would gain a very powerful feature, if
blocks could also be previewed in their own buffer, using the same
mechanism as the org-format-latex function.
What do you think ?

I don't see how this could be done in a general way.  I guess you mean in particular
the graphics blocks like ditaa?

Yes. For any block type bt, if it makes sense, it would be possible to write such org-block-<bt>-generate-image(body) that takes the block as argument and returns the path of the image it produced.

Then:
- for exporting: the existing org-export-blocks-format-<bt> functions would simply call their respective org-block-<bt>-generate-image and work the same ;
- for previewing a block of type <bt>: if such org-block-<bt>-generate-image exists, call it and display it the same way org-format-latex does

Wouldn't it be great ?

Nicolas