Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] org-fstree: insert directory subtrees into org buff

From: Lindsay Todd
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] org-fstree: insert directory subtrees into org buffers / UPDATE
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:35:32 -0400

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Andreas Burtzlaff<address@hidden> wrote:
> you remembered me to publish the new version 0.4 of org-fstree, that
> features dynamic generation and deletion of directory contents on
> visibility change and thus makes the complete filesystem browsable in
> real time inside the org file. ( set option :dynamic-update t )
> The entries are also sorted in alphanumeric order now.

Thanks!  That really helps!

>>     The other thing that would be nice (but I can manage without) is
>> to be able to indicate that the directory being listed is the
>> attachment directory.  I like to be able to do things like store
>> monthly statements from utilities with my notes concerning
>> interactions with that utility.
>
> Hm, I don't really get your intention, sorry. How do you want the
> directory's content to be displayed if it is an "attachment directory"?

It could be displayed just like a regular directory being shown in
org-fstree.  I like to store documents related to projects in my
attachment directory, and sometimes want to seem them.  If I just open
the directory with ^A-^A-F to view it in dired mode, and an attachment
is a PDF, clicking on it opens the PDF file in emacs.  Not the same as
opening a link to the PDF, which is what org-fstree gives me.  So I
have been using org-fstree, and pointing it to the attachment
directory, and getting much nicer results -- other than having to
figure out a path to the attachment directory.  Would be nice if
org-fstree did that for me.

I have "att:" as  a link prefix to my attachment directory; if
org-fstree could expand link prefixes, that would be a nice general
solution (but what to do if the expansion isn't a local directory?).

Just an idea...  Thanks for this extension.

/Lindsay