[Orgmode] table refresh: when should the buffer be marked modified?

From: Michael Brand
Subject: [Orgmode] table refresh: when should the buffer be marked modified?
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:34:01 +0200

I was not able to find a description about buffer modification after a table
refresh.

When a table gets a refresh like after C-c C-c or moving around with Tab the
buffer is marked modified also when no change for realignment of the table grid
is necessary. Is this an implementation limitation for simplification? If yes
my vote for which of the features to be next would be that during a table
refresh there is a check if an automatic realignment changed the table grid. If
the buffer's file does not need an update I would like the buffer to remain not
modified. Beside other advantages it would make it possible to narrow columns
in read-only buffers which are not narrowed before for any reason and I am not
sure if it would eventually help me with multiple undo in tables which confused
me sometimes.

My opposite finding is that - interestingly only with
org-startup-align-all-tables t ! - when I open a file with a misaligned table
not in org-mode and then invoke org-mode the table gets aligned but the buffer
does not get modified. I expected it modified, org-mode version is 6.27a.