Re: [Orgmode] A tool for creating source code files from example and src

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] A tool for creating source code files from example and src blocks in org files
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:31:29 -0700

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> "Eric H. Neilsen, Jr." <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Is there any interest in this?
>>
>> Yes.  It's been a long time I want to use Org for literate programming,
>> I think it's just the right tool to do this.
>>
>> Please send any code we can test!
>>
>>> (If anyone feels like rewriting it, that would be even better; aside
>>> from a fairly straightforward .emacs, this is my first ever lisp code,
>>> so it is likely to need cleaning and refactoring.)
>>
>> I may help if I have some time.
>
> I have started re-implementing this as part of org-babel [1], please
> checkout the "tangle" branch [2] of org-babel for source-code and more
> information.

This tangle implementation has now reached an initial level of
functionality.  It is able to extract blocks from an org-mode file by
language and by session (which has a specific meaning in org-babel) and
create source-code files.

This doesn't yet have support for fine-grained control for inserting
into specific locations of source-code files, and I'm not familiar
enough with literate programming to know the best way to structure such
support.

This is now merged into the master branch of org-babel.  To give it a
try, open the test-tangle.org file in the base of the repo, and run
`org-babel-tangle'.

Best -- Eric