Re: [Orgmode] Re: LaTeX export bugs?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: LaTeX export bugs?
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 22:08:39 -0400

=?utf-8?Q?S=C3=A9bastien_Vauban?= <address@hidden> wrote:

> > BTW, any solution for exporting to a Beamer presentation?  I'd be
> > very very  very interested by anything in that direction. That's
> > the last piece of the whole puzzle, IMHO.

I did a beamer presentation in org-mode last month (1 hour, about 20 slides).
Here is a simplified version (I'll talk about some problems at the end).

o org-export-latex-classes is augmented with a beamer element as follows:

,----
| (add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
|                '("beamer"

"\\documentclass[11pt]{beamer}\n\\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}\n\\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}\n\\usepackage{hyperref}\n\\usepackage{verbatim}\n\\setbeameroption{show
 notes}\n\\usetheme{Goettingen}\n\\useoutertheme{infolines}"
|                  ("\\begin{frame}\\frametitle{%s}\\begin{itemize}"
"\\end{itemize}\\end{frame}"
|                   "\\begin{frame}\\frametitle{%s}\\begin{itemize}"
"\\end{itemize}\\end{frame}")
|                  ("\\item{%s}" . "\\item*{%s}")
|                  ("\\end{itemize}\\note{" "}")))
`----

o Here is an input file:

,----
| #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
| #+TITLE: Example presentation
| #+AUTHOR: Nick Dokos \\ $<$\href{mailto:address@hidden@hp.com}$>$
| #+EMAIL: address@hidden
|
| * Why
| ** Reason 1.
|    Text explaining reason 1.
| ** Reason 2.
|    ... more explanations.
| ** Reason 3.
|    Blah, blah, blah.
|
| ** Reason 4.
|    Why not?
|
| * What
| ** First piece.
| ** Second piece.
| ** Third piece.
| ** Fourth piece.
`----

o Export it to latex (and zap the TOC - see below):

and pdflatex it to produce the following pdf:

Some notes:

o Level 1 headlines become slide titles.

o Level 2 headlines become items in the slide and the text under the level
  2 headlines ends up as text in the item.

o Level 3 headlines (not shown in the sample document) were supposed to
  become notes, but this obviously will not work this way. I don't know
  how to make it work. In the end, I edited the tex file by hand in
  order to get the notes right.

o Moreover (and I think this is a bug in the latex exporter), I had to
  rearrange the notes by hand: they ended up in the wrong slides.
  I have had zero time to chase this however, so I am not really sure
  why this happened.

o There was a problem with the table of contents (it's empty and it pushes
  the title of the first slide down), so I manually zapped it from
  the tex file.

o Latex had some peculiar objections to the labels and I did not care
  about them, so I preprocessed them out of existence in the tex file.

After a little practice, I could edit the tex file to take care of all
the problems in about 5 minutes. Even so, after getting the bulk of the
contents of the presentation done, I did a final production of the tex
file and did the final touchups on that. One of these days, I'll have to
approximation to a solution will have to suffice.

HTH.

Thanks,
Nick