[Orgmode] Re: Suggestion to org-R mode

From: Dan Davison
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Suggestion to org-R mode
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 23:22:05 -0400

Sami Airaksinen <address@hidden> writes:

> But to the point: I have "tons" of tables that have different things, so
> that I can keep organized my data (one table with +60 columns is pretty
> clumsy to me). And to produce something meaningful stats I would like to
> combine these tables (I know that putting them to one big table would
> solve my problem).
>
> So my idea was,
>
> #+R: intables:"table1","table2",... Rnames:"tab1","tab2",...
>
> or
>
> #+R: intables:(table1 tab1)(table2 tab2)...
>
> or something more generic.
>
> The goal is that afterwards I could manipulate them as will with raw R,
>
> #+RR: res <- tab1$varX + tab2$varY #example.

I'd prefer not to add the ability to reference multiple tables to org-R,
as I'm planning for it to be replaced by org-babel[fn:1], which I'm
working on together with Eric Schulte. It's still in development, but
you can already do this in org-babel -- here's a simple example in which
two org tables are referenced:

#+tblname: table1
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 4 | 5 | 6 |

#+tblname: table2
| 4 | 5 | 6 |
| 7 | 8 | 9 |

#+srcname: multiple-ref-example
#+begin_src R :var tab1=table1 :var tab2=table2
tab1 + tab2
#+end_src

#+resname: multiple-ref-example
|  5 |  7 |  9 |
| 11 | 13 | 15 |

There's still work to be done, but if you do want to try it, after
downloading/cloning the code from github use the following lines to load
it:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/org-babel/lisp")
(require 'org-babel-init)

Dan

Footnotes:

[fn:1] http://github.com/eschulte/org-babel/tree/master