Re: [Orgmode] performance problems with drawers

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] performance problems with drawers
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:49:11 +0200

On Jul 8, 2009, at 7:04 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

I wonder if this happens with logbook drawers.

Yes it would,

 I also wonder if it
affects the speed of meta shift up and down (i.e. moving subtrees up
or down).

It might, but I don't think so

- Carsten

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 08:33, Al<address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to use emacs org-mode to keep my bookmarks (using the
org-annotation-helper.el method). I find this really great, except performance
issues.

My .org file contains ~5000 entries, organized in a tree like this:

#+DRAWERS: MYDATA

** net
*** www
**** [[http://www.w3.org/][W3C - The World Wide Web Consortium]]
:MYDATA:
 :Entered:   [2000-03-06 10:29:04]
 :LastVisit: [2000-08-31 16:32:15]
:END:

Some optional text

**** [[http://www.xml.com/pub][XML.com - XTech 2000 Conference]]
:AEDATA:
 :Entered:   [2000-03-06 10:29:49]
 :LastVisit: [2001-10-08 15:37:09]
:END:

The problem is that with the drawers activated, it's *very* slow. Cycling the
visibility mode takes more than 10 seconds.
If I remove the drawers configuration line (#+DRAWERS: MYDATA), speed comes back
to reasonable levels, but obviously I lose the drawer effect.

Is there a solution to improve the speed and using the drawers ?

Thanks in advance.

Myalgic encephalomyelitis causes death and severe suffering.
You can get it any time and never recover.  Conflicts of
interest are destroying research.  Do science and justice
matter to you? http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/ What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm