[Orgmode] Re: Comments in Org-mode

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Comments in Org-mode
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:35:00 -0500

Manuel Amador <address@hidden> writes:

> I think I have found a bug (or a feature!). Sometimes when
> writing documents I tend to comment out a line by adding a "#"
> in the column 0. However, after doing this in a line at the
> middle of the document, I get the following behavior:

> * Random stuff
>
>   Some initial things.
>
> # Then I comment this line out
>
>   But when I keep writing a sufficiently long line such that
> # the cursor moves to the next line, a "#" character creeps in!
> # and will keep appearing for the remainder of the document.

I cannot duplicate the problem (but only partially). I experienced extra
comment lines inserted only when there was no space between the initial
comment line and the uncommented line, i.e.:

# Then I comment this line out
  But when I keep writing a sufficiently long line such that
# the cursor moves to the next line, a "#" character creeps in!
# and will keep appearing for the remainder of the document.

I did not experience extra comment lines in lines further down the text.

I'm running the latest git org-mode and a recent development emacs --
GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.2) of
2009-07-01 -- on archlinux.

> Samuel,
>
> Thanks for replying. The thread that you mentioned however, seems to
> be concerned with a different issue.
>
> My issue shows up not just in a line right after a commented line, but
> could happen anywhere later in the text. That is, after the
> comment-region command is used, every time a new line is automatically
> created, it starts with #.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/13312

I can confirm that Samuel's advice above offers an interim fix for the
problem I was experiencing (i.e., comment lines added on filled lines
when there was no empty line between the initial commented line and the
subsequent uncommented line --- now that's a mouthful!). I'm not sure
whether the fix addresses the problem of unwanted comment lines father
down in the text (which I could not replicate).

Best,
Matt