Re: [Orgmode] Proper way to "link" external files into a project?

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Proper way to "link" external files into a project?
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 22:35:41 +0200

Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> writes:

> Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'd like to include several files into an org-mode project that live
>> outside the project tree. I tried to just symlink them into the
>> appropriate place into my project, and thought that might suffice to get
>> them published correctly, but that doesn't work out, as org-mode doesn't
>> consider the symlink's name, but the "true" filename; for example, I
>> have this:
>

> First of all: How about hardlinks?

I'd rather not use them in this case.

> Second:
>
>   See
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.php#sec-7.1
>
>   That shows how you can share files between projects, simply by pulling
>   them in through a special export  project.
>   I use this technique a lot. One advantage is that each project has a
>   complete set of files.
>   The drawbacks are minor for my use-case, but that might vary. But as
>   linking was enough, this approach should be fine.

Thanks! I'm now using this approach, and it works well. The only
drawback for me is that I have to "pollute" the included projects' org
files with a line like this:

#+SETUPFILE: ~/.emacs.d/org-templates/level-2.org

Ideally, I'd like to have that information inferred, or at least
external to the included projects, as they should not have to "know" at
which location they are used. You don't know about a trick how to get
around this? I'd also be willing to write some elisp to that end...

Regards, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann -- <http://rotty.yi.org/>