[Orgmode] Re: Org-mode as a bug tracker.

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org-mode as a bug tracker.
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:35:29 -0500

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> At Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:25:11 +0200, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>
>> Another nuisance is attached files. This requires an ad-hoc mechanism
>> and I'm not sure I want them stored along with the source files.
>
> Actually, I'm glad you brought this up.  Since moving my org files to
> be under version control (and boy does that make a difference to my
> peace of mind!),

Yes. I've come to conclude that version control is a *must* for org files,
given the possibility of accidentally deleting whole trees.

> I don't know how to deal with attachments.
> Attachments, for me, are usually ephemeral and usually types of
> documents I don't particularly like to deal with (typically MS Word or
> PPT).

I believe org-attach achieves this end admirably. When you use
org-attach to "attach" a document to a headline, it will deposit the
file (or, if you prefer, a link to the file) in a location defined by
the variable org-attach-directory. The file and the headline are linked
via a global id property. You can open the file from the heading to
which it is attached by calling org-attach again.

http://orgmode.org/manual/Attachments.html

Obviously, if these files are ephemeral, you can leave the
org-attach-directory outside of your version control system.

Best,
Matt