Re: [Orgmode] emacs on the iPhone

From: Michael Zeller
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] emacs on the iPhone
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:54:48 -0700

"Sven Bretfeld" <address@hidden> writes:

> Connecting to my PC and starting emacsclient -t via a bash-alias (`ec')
> takes about 5 seconds from everywhere. I think running (and working
> with) a native Emacs on the phone itself (which isn't available anyway)
> could never be much faster. Gnus and Org-mode are ready to go. And no
> need to synchronize.

As an aside, you could actually run emacs natively on the g1. I've
followed the instructions from Jay Freeman (http://www.saurik.com/id/10,
seems to be down though, try using the Google cache) for installing
Debian on the g1 (on your SD card -- I recommend getting an 8GB
card). After you've installed Debian you run openssh and connect to
localhost using ConnectBot.

Even better, you could install xorg and run emacs using AndroidVNC in X,
although I've found this to be much slower. Although, "theoretically"
you could use a browser such as Conkeror in X to follow http links,
although this is extremely slow for me. You're better off with w3m-el,
until newer hardware comes out. Also note that the keyboard under
AndroidVNC is not as nice as ConnectBot's layout.

> This is the solution I always dreamed of and more than once asked about
> in this list. I can very much recommend Android (even if its
> relationship to Google can be annoying).

I also recommend Android.

> For those who want to give it a try: In ConnectBot CTRL is pressing the
> mouse ball once, META (ESC) is pressing it twice. TAB is twice pressing
> the mouse ball and hitting SPC. To expand a tree in an org file you have
> to set org-cycle to a key. Of course, you should have an internet
> flatrate if you want to write your PhD thesis that way ;-).

With my solution, you don't need to drop all of that money on an
internet plan, but you would need to sync your org files. For using the
g1 without a plan, just buy a prepaid SIM card and connect using adb
shell when registering the phone and execute:

am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings

to bring up the Wifi settings and register without buying a dataplan. I
spend about $10 a month prepaid and use Skype for everything else.

> Greetings
>
> Sven

Thanks,
~Michael Zeller