[Orgmode] Re: org-mode meets git a first proposal ?!

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode meets git a first proposal ?!
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 00:18:58 -0500

Torsten Wagner <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> First of all everything which org-mode is aware of is within a
> git-repro. That makes it highly portable. If you like to use your
> complete working environment (your org-files and all linked files) on
> another computer a easy "git clone git://myfirstcomputer/org.git" will
> do the job never miss a file !!!! For sure, a little script within
> emacs might make it easier as well, just ask for the source address
> and destination and a few seconds to minutes later you will find your
> complete org-mode work-environment on the other machine.

Though I can't address your idea of creating links to git revisions (I
believe this idea was discussed here recently), you might want to check
out org-attach.el as a way of pulling all relevant files into a git
repo.

Org attach can "attach" files to headlines by giving them a universal id
and depositing them (or a link to them) in a directory of your choice
(see the variable "org-attach-directory"). If the attachment directory
contains is controlled by git, org-attach will automatically check them
into the repo. So perhaps org-attach is already part of the way towards
the solution you're looking for.

> I would be happy if you could tell me your opinion about this ideas. All of
> these is just pop up of my mind and some points really need some sleep and
> some good discussion and reconsideration ... thus it is a very very first
> alpha-draft. I checked the web. Some people use git for there org-files (as I
> do). However, mostly we use org-mode and after things are done change to a
> console (or use a git-mode in emacs) and fiddle around with git commands.
> A good integration between both is still missing.

I can't say that this statement matches my own experience. I find emacs
and git integration to be superb. Any time I'm working intensively on
one of my org-files, I simply use vc-next-action (C-x v v) to check in
recent changes. Also I make heavy use of vc-log, vc-annotate, vc-diff,
etc. to survey changes to a file.

I also highly recommend magit. It makes it very easy to manage all
recent uncommitted changes to a git repo. Thanks to magit and vc-git, I
almost never use the command line managing git repositories. In fact,
I've come to see magit as an essential part of my work process -- i.e.,
as a way of reviewing and logging things I've worked on recently
(usually every hour or so).

That said, I think it would be nice to be able to create links to
particular git commits.

Best,
Matt