[Orgmode] Re: How to track time spent on a project

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: How to track time spent on a project
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:14:23 -0400

Geralt <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Bernt Hansen<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Just visit the org file with the task you want to clock in and do C-c
>> C-x C-i to clock it in.  C-c C-x C-o stops the clock (or when you clock
>> in something else it stops).  You can only clock one thing at a time.
>> Play with it in a test task to see how it works.
>>
>> You can clock in from the agenda directly (if it's visible there) with
>> just I (and O for clock out)
>>
> Hi,
>
> thanks, that's working fine :-)
>

>> I've documented how I use clocking stuff here:
>>
>> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Clocking
>>
> I already looked into that, but I couldn't find how to track the time
> of entries without a DATE property.

l (ell) in the agenda shows logged clock times.  You can also get a
clock summary report with (R) or insert a dynamic block in your org file
(see the manual).  C-c C-x C-d will summarize clocked time by task
(totals only) overlayed on the headlines.

>> The agenda is not limited to date ranges.  You can find tasks to clock
>> in via the agenda in lots of ways such as:
>>
>>  - tags searches  (C-c a m)
>>  - org-occur searches by regexp (C-c a /)
>>  - custom agenda view
>>
> I tried that, but when searching for matching tasks I  can't see their
> clocked time in this view (when pressing R org tells me that this
> operation is not allowed in such a buffer).

This works for easily locating the task to clock in.  To get clock
reports you want R in a day/weekly/monthly agenda, or l (log mode), or L
for a single org-file.  You can also summarize clock times in a dynamic
clock table within an org file.

R in the agenda is only available in day/week/monthly agenda views.  You
can specify an explicit date range in a dynamic clock report in your org
file.  Check the manual for details.

-Bernt

> What I just tried was to add a DATE property like this:
>   :DATE:
>   DATE: <2009-07-24 Fri>
>   DATE: <2009-07-20 Thu>
>   :END:
> With this I can see the task in the agenda and see the clocked
> time(s), but I have to add an entry every time I'm working on it (and
> it's redundant because this information is already in the CLOCK
> property).
> I haven't used a custom agenda before, is there a way to create one
> that shows tasks in a timeline by looking at the dates in the CLOCK
> property?

No - I use custom agenda view to find _what_ to clock in quickly.
Reports are different (check the next section of my document)

-Bernt