Re: [Orgmode] Re: How do you use org for other formats

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: How do you use org for other formats
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 06:37:36 +0200

On Jul 30, 2009, at 7:53 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:

zwz <address@hidden> writes:

I recently found the problem when I want to export the org file to
html and pdf. I guess there will be some people (who are also not so
familiar with the powerful org-mode) bothered by the same issue, that
is, html and pdf requires different org format sometimes.
- I use $ y = x_1^2 + x_2^2 $ in org, it works for pdf, but not for html
- "_" in text will introduce mess in pdf, not in html

I definitely want to keep only one org which I can export to other
formats correctly. I do not know if it is already implemented in
org-mode.

I just wondered if it is possible to introduce a abstract level (or
notations) so that org can translate it according to the target
format, just like how org treat the headlines (*).

The following test file works fine for me as far as I can tell

,----[ x.org ]
| #+TITLE:     x.org
| #+AUTHOR:    Bernt Hansen
| #+EMAIL:     address@hidden
| #+DATE:      2009-07-30 Thu
| #+KEYWORDS:
| #+LANGUAGE:  en
| #+OPTIONS: TeX:t LaTeX:nil skip:nil d:nil todo:t pri:nil tags:not-in-toc | #+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0 path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
| #+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
| #+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
| #+LINK_UP:
| #+LINK_HOME:
|
| * Test
|
|   Some math formulae:
|
|   y = x_1^2 + x_2^2
|
|   y^2 = 2x^2 + 1
|
|   z_2 = x_1 + x_2 + 2 (y_1 + y_2 + r)
`----

This renders HTML (C-c C-e b) [*1*] and PDF (C-c C-e d) [*2*] that look
fine to me

-Bernt

[*1*]  http://www.norang.ca/tmp/x.html
[*2*]  http://www.norang.ca/tmp/x.pdf

Well, not quite: the subscripts in HTML are too big

I think this is probably fixable with CSS, decreasing the font size
in sub and sup.   Apparently Docbook does this automatically for
its subscript and superscript tags.

Should we decrease the size of sub and sup in Org's default CSS?

- Carsten

 and the first formula in
the PDF does not have superscripts (it still has the carets): I checked LaTeX
export and the problem is present there:

 y$^2$ = 2x$^2$ + 1

 z$_2$ = x$_1$ + x$_2$ + 2 (y$_1$ + y$_2$ + r)

Nick

PS. The exponent in the last formula (i.e. the 4) is absent from the org
   file: cut-n-paste problem?