Re: [Orgmode] id links and org-link-frame-setup

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] id links and org-link-frame-setup
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 06:38:56 +0200

On Jul 31, 2009, at 6:00 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

I almost always need a single window for everything except
completion.

In org, I have the following set to do this.

(pushnew '(file . find-file) org-link-frame-setup :test #'equal)
(add-hook 'remember-mode-hook 'delete-other-windows)
;;it might be nice to have a 'dedicated-buffer option
(setf org-indirect-buffer-display 'current-window)
;;could make pop kill the buffer
;;;(setf org-display-internal-link-with-indirect-buffer t)

But RET on an id link still opens another window.

Perhaps that, and all other types of links that open in Emacs, should
respect org-link-frame-setup?

I agree, and I have fixed that for id links.  Now sure how other link
types deal with this, but let me know if you stumble over another case.

- Carsten

Another possibility is for org to respect pop-up-windows, thus
allowing a single place to express this preference, but ATM I don't
remember from a previous thread whether (1) Carsten explicitly decided
not to do that, or (2) it had more to do with which function to use to
pop up windows.

Thanks.

P.S.  For others with the same need, here is my code for the
rest of Emacs.  The key variable is pop-up-windows, which
fixes it for most of Emacs.  There are still a few bugs, but
I have most of Emacs behaving now.

;;trying this, but does not work for dired and appt
;;(add-to-list 'same-window-regexps ".*")
(add-to-list 'same-window-regexps "\\*Customize.*") ;notwork?
(add-to-list 'same-window-regexps "\\*Man .*") ;notwork
;;;(add-to-list 'same-window-regexps ".*.org")
;;non-regexps
(add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Remember*")
(add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Help*")
(add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Apropos*")
(add-to-list 'same-window-buffer-names "*Summary*")
;;this fixes it but makes completions not work in lisp and shell.
(setf pop-up-windows nil)
;;(defvar alpha-same-window-buffer-names same-window-buffer-names)
;;(defadvice pop-to-buffer (around alpha-one-window first activate)

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis makes you die decades early (Jason
et al. 2006) and suffer severely.  Conflicts of interest are