[Orgmode] Keeping org files under git - trimming the repository

From: Ben Alexander
Subject: [Orgmode] Keeping org files under git - trimming the repository
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:10:19 +0300

Hello all.
This is really more of a git question, but I keep my org file stored under git and I've seen other people on this list speak of doing the same. Different people cite different benefits:

+ keeping home and work copies of todo.org in sync
+ storing todo.org on a USB stick for transport instead of using a network + safety while editing. If a slip of the fingers hits C-k on a folded line and you don't notice it for a long time, git allows you to find when that happen (git blame) and 'cherry-pick' a patch to bring the lost subtree forward in time.

I don't really know how to do any of these things in git, but that's what you all say :-)

About a year ago, I decided to learn how to write "macros" in lisp and started by teaching myself about the after-save-hook. I added a hook to auto commit every time I saved any org file. My simple, small text file of todo items is now a giant git repository.

At last a question or two: Does this happen to you? What do you do? What new git command do I need to learn in order to do it?

Is there some way to clone my git repo onto my USB stick, but make it a subset instead of the whole thing? That would be useful for me to learn for other git projects!

Just curious!

(and thanks to you all for the interesting discussions and excellent tool!)

-Ben