[Orgmode] Re: Org-special-blocks for code chunks

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org-special-blocks for code chunks
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:31:12 +0200

Hi Chris,

Chris Gray wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> I have a problem exporting code chunks to LaTeX (beamer, in fact -- but
>> that does not change anything to the problem) that contain underscores.
>> I can't get a properly outputted underscore in my slide.
>> Any idea or workaround?
>
> Is lstlisting like a verbatim environment?

Yes, it is. What's extra is the highlight of keywords, contextual for every
programming language.

> I think you might be able to just use \begin{lstlisting}
> and \end{lstlisting} in that case. Org does not interpret anything inside
> such blocks, which is why org-special-blocks was created in the first place.

OK. That works.

Though, I'm lost about choosing the best representation for code chunks (I
don't even speak here of literate programming) to be shown in slides or
documents.

Look, I've done an ECM with the different ways I currently see for Org-mode:

* Org

*** A. To escape the \_
***** 1. No marking at all
\begin{lstlisting}
months_employed(?applicant, ?months)
\end{lstlisting}
***** 2. Literal LaTeX code
#+LaTeX: \begin{lstlisting}
months_employed(?applicant, ?months)
#+LaTeX: \end{lstlisting}
***** 3. Lines between markers
#+BEGIN_LaTeX
\begin{lstlisting}
months_employed(?applicant, ?months)
\end{lstlisting}
#+END_LaTeX
***** 4. Org-special-blocks
#+BEGIN_lstlisting
months_employed(?applicant, ?months)
#+END_lstlisting

*** B. Or not to escape the _?
***** 1. No marking at all
\begin{lstlisting}
months\_employed(?applicant, ?months)
\end{lstlisting}
***** 2. Literal LaTeX code
#+LaTeX: \begin{lstlisting}
months\_employed(?applicant, ?months)
#+LaTeX: \end{lstlisting}
***** 3. Lines between markers
#+BEGIN_LaTeX
\begin{lstlisting}
months\_employed(?applicant, ?months)
\end{lstlisting}
#+END_LaTeX
***** 4. Org-special-blocks
#+BEGIN_lstlisting
months\_employed(?applicant, ?months)
#+END_lstlisting

Without org-special-blocks, I have such LaTeX generated:

% Created 2009-08-13 Thu 12:07
\documentclass[final]{mcreport}
\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\usepackage{xcolor}
\usepackage{listings}

\title{ecm-escape}
\author{Fabrice Niessen}
\date{13 August 2009}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents
\vspace*{1cm}
\section{Org}
\label{sec-1}

\subsection{A. To escape the \_}
\label{sec-1.1}

\subsubsection{1. No marking at all}
\label{sec-1.1.1}

\begin{lstlisting}
months_employed(?applicant, ?months)
\end{lstlisting}
\subsubsection{2. Literal \LaTeX{} code}
\label{sec-1.1.2}

\begin{lstlisting}
months_employed(?applicant, ?months)
\end{lstlisting}
\subsubsection{3. Lines between markers}
\label{sec-1.1.3}

\begin{lstlisting}
months_employed(?applicant, ?months)
\end{lstlisting}
\subsubsection{4. Org-special-blocks}
\label{sec-1.1.4}

months$_{\mathrm{employed}}$(?applicant, ?months)

\subsection{B. Or not to escape the _?}
\label{sec-1.2}

\subsubsection{1. No marking at all}
\label{sec-1.2.1}

\begin{lstlisting}
months\_employed(?applicant, ?months)
\end{lstlisting}
\subsubsection{2. Literal \LaTeX{} code}
\label{sec-1.2.2}

\begin{lstlisting}
months\_employed(?applicant, ?months)
\end{lstlisting}
\subsubsection{3. Lines between markers}
\label{sec-1.2.3}

\begin{lstlisting}
months\_employed(?applicant, ?months)
\end{lstlisting}
\subsubsection{4. Org-special-blocks}
\label{sec-1.2.4}

months\_employed(?applicant, ?months)

\end{document}

With org-special-blocks turned on, I have:

% Created 2009-08-13 Thu 12:10
[...]

Conclusions?

- Org-special-blocks seems to misbehave in cases A3/B3 (adding an unsound
  environment) and A4 (letting the underscore being converted);

- Cases 1 and 2 always work as expected: producing me what I want for the "A
  series", and something expected (but not what I want to see in the document)
  for the "B series" (just there for informative purpose -- because, anyway, I
  don't wanna see the underscore, nowhere, neither having to type it, neither
  printing it in the docs);

- Cases A1 and A3 are the nicest to read in Org: code chunks are highlighted
  differently.

- Though, case A1 is not very friendly: nothing tells I'm inline LaTeX code
  (what about other exports, as HTML and the like?)

- Thought, case A2 is the one I currently choose for the slides I'm producing,
  as it both works whenever org-special-blocks is activated and when it's not.

Any comments?

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban