[Orgmode] How to measure a project's %complete?

From: Christopher DeMarco
Subject: [Orgmode] How to measure a project's %complete?
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:03:17 -0400

Hi all...

I like to use checkboxes with the magic cookies to track my progress
through something complex.  This works nicely for a single TODO
composed of multiple little steps; is something similar possible for a
hierarchy of TODO items?  I.e. (assume "DONE", "PROJECT" and "TODO"
are defined as state keywords):

* PROJECT Overhaul personal productivity [50%]
** DONE Clean my desk
** TODO Learn Org

I've tried this using plain lists, but they seem to be incompatible
with state keywords, and likewise checkboxes don't work with outline
levels.

It's not a showstopper, but it would be nice to be able to
automagically evaluate how far along the path a particular PROJECT is,
based upon its constituents' state.

Thanks in advance!

--
Christopher DeMarco <address@hidden>