[Orgmode] Re: How to measure a project's %complete?

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: How to measure a project's %complete?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:43:25 -0400

Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> Christopher DeMarco <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi all...
>>
>> I like to use checkboxes with the magic cookies to track my progress
>> through something complex.  This works nicely for a single TODO
>> composed of multiple little steps; is something similar possible for a
>> hierarchy of TODO items?  I.e. (assume "DONE", "PROJECT" and "TODO"
>> are defined as state keywords):
>>
>> * PROJECT Overhaul personal productivity [50%]
>> ** DONE Clean my desk
>> ** TODO Learn Org
>>
>> I've tried this using plain lists, but they seem to be incompatible
>> with state keywords, and likewise checkboxes don't work with outline
>> levels.
>>
>> It's not a showstopper, but it would be nice to be able to
>> automagically evaluate how far along the path a particular PROJECT is,
>> based upon its constituents' state.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>
> This already works.
>
> ,----[ x.org ]
> |
> | * Test [1/2] [50%]
> | ** DONE Clean my desk
> |    CLOSED: [2009-08-18 Tue 09:33]
> |    :LOGBOOK:
> |    - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-08-18 Tue 09:33]
> |    :END:
> | ** TODO Learn Org
> `----

Or maybe I jumped the gun a bit here.  It works for the first level of
hierarchy similar to the way lists work.  The level 1 task only counts
level 2 items.  You can have separate cookies on the level 2 tasks which
count the level 3 subtasks etc.

There is no way to count all of the items in the subtree AFAIK.

i.e.  This is not currently possible

* PROJECT Test [0/10]  <-- this cookie would say [0/6] not [0/10]
** TODO Step 1 (1)
** TODO Step 2 (2)
** TODO Step 3 (3)
** TODO Step 4 (4)