[Orgmode] Re: Subversion for backups?

From: Kyle Sexton
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Subversion for backups?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:37:40 -0500

At Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:49:41 +0200,
Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> wrote:

> I use subversion to backup and track my org files.
> I have a server in my office running the subversion server.
>
> Access is by port forwarding the subversion port via ssh - no matter
> being under windows (putty) or under Linux (ssh).
> In this way I have my subversion server and repository virtually
> "local", that is acces is always via
>
> svn://localhost/repository
>

> I also track all my .emacs.d specific files, especially the org-mode
> files themselves as well as icicles and all kinds of libraries etc.
> This makes it easy to update my whole emacs installation on any of my 3
> desktops and 3 notebooks.

Interesting, can you describe your workflow a bit?

  1. Do you commit a change to subversion every time you update an org
  file, or are commits scheduled through a cronjob?

  2. When you open new files, do you always check them out of the
  repository / work / check them back in?  Or do you work on a local
  directory structure and sync outside of emacs?

  3. Can you post some of the relevant config lines you have, and the
  key sequences you use for commits?  (This may be asking too much. :))

Thanks in advance, I've seen several ways to do this and I'm trying to
weigh the merits of each approach.

--
Kyle Sexton