Re: [Orgmode] can't see emphasized text in org

From: Daniel Goldin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] can't see emphasized text in org
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:20:22 -0700

Finally got a chance to try this. Works like a charm! Thanks.

d.

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Nick Dokos wrote:

Daniel Goldin <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Nick Bell wrote:

> Daniel Goldin wrote:
>> Non-programmer-type can't see markup like /this/ as emphasized. I
>> looked through manual and searched web but found no answer.  Any
>> thoughts?
> Are you using a font which has a separate italic form? Try switching
> to  a font which you know does, such as Courier New.
>
> Now wait for an expert to come along.

Doesn't help, I'm afraid.

I've seen this problem before and I never chased it down but when I saw
Nick Bell's idea, I figured that's got to be it. It *almost* works
but not quite (as Daniel found out).

If you enter /italic/ in an org buffer, place your cursor in there and
say M-x describe-text-properties, you get:

,----
| Text content at position 48:
| | | There are text properties here:
|   face                 (italic)
|   font-lock-multiline  t
|   fontified            t
`----

You can then M-x describe-face italic <RET>. For me, that had
the :underline attribute set, and the :slant attribute unset.
If you customize the face, set the :slant attribute (e.g. to italic)
and unset the :underline attribute and *then* change to a font that
provides an italic form, then /italic/ is indeed italicized.

The problem seems to be in faces.el:

,----
| (defface italic
|   '((((supports :slant italic))
|      :slant italic)
|     (((supports :underline t))
|      :underline t)
|     (t
|      ;; default to italic, even it doesn't appear to be supported,
|      ;; because in some cases the display engine will do it's own
|      ;; workaround (to `dim' on ttys)
|      :slant italic))
|   "Basic italic face."
|   :group 'basic-faces)
`----

which apparently looked at my default font[1], found that it does not
support italics but does support underlines and set the attributes
accordingly. *Why* it falls back to underlining is probably a question
that should be addressed to the emacs developers, but it looks like
a bug to me (hence copied to the emacs bugs list - version info appended[2])

HTH,
Nick

[1] I have

(set-default-font "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-120-100-100-c-90-iso8859-1")

in my .emacs. I think this is what used to be called "9x15" at some point in
the past, but I'm really not sure.

[2] Version info:

GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of 2009-08-09 on
gamaville.dokosmarshall.org
Org-mode version 6.29trans (release_6.29c.55.ga48f)

--
Daniel Goldin 213.926.1960