Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX multicolumn count wrong in table export

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX multicolumn count wrong in table export
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 07:24:01 +0200

On Aug 29, 2009, at 1:04 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:

Karl Stump <address@hidden> wrote:

When exporting a table with a horizontal line the column count is wrong.

Output from pdflatex run:

! Extra alignment tab has been changed to \cr.
<template> \endtemplate

l.32 ....\multicolumn{4}{r}{Continued on next page}
                                                 \
?

Here's the table in the tex file:

\begin{longtable}{||lll||}
\caption{This is a long table with lines around and between cells}\\
Heading1  &  Heading2  &  Heading3 \\
\hline
\endhead
\hline\multicolumn{4}{r}{Continued on next page}\
\endfoot
\endlastfoot
\hline
alpha     &  beta      &  gamma     \\
          &            &            \\
\end{longtable}

Here's the org file:

** table export test

#+CAPTION: This is a long table with lines around and between cells
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[landscape]{geometry}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \geometry{left=0.12in,right=0.12in,top=0.25in,bottom=0.25in}
#+ATTR_LaTeX: longtable align=||lll||

   | / | <30>     | <10>     | <10>     |
   |   | Heading1 | Heading2 | Heading3 |
   |---+----------+----------+----------|
   |   | alpha    | beta     | gamma    |
   |   |          |          |          |

start: 0000-00-00 end: 0000-00-00

I believe it's because of the dummy "calculation-mark" column,
which is not exported. However, the variable org-table-last-alignment
(a list, whose length becomes the value of the \multicolumn argument)
ends up having the value (nil nil nil nil), i.e. it counts the dummy
column as well. What the proper place to adjust the value is, I don't
know, but it should be easy for Carsten to fix it. For the time being,
you can either get rid of the dummy row and column (e.g. if you don't
need the widths) or fix it by hand in the LaTeX file.

Indeed.  I have fixed this.  We now pops `org-table-last-alignment' if
the first column has been removed by `org-table-clean-before-export'.
The same problem must have caused a one-off error when setting the
alignment in LaTeX tables, bu it seems nobody has noticed this so
far.  Anyway, also this is fixed now.

Thanks to both of you!

- Carsten