[Orgmode] Re: make update error

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: make update error
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 07:53:52 -1000

On Sep 1, 2009, at 4:07 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:

git pull counts, compresses, receives objects, resolves deltas,
updates and fails with this message:

error: Entry 'Makefile' not uptodate. Cannot merge.

As far as I know Makefile is up-to-date.

You might also want to have a local branch, where you can keep any local modifications, e.g. if the changes to the Makefile were deliberate and
you wanted to keep them, then you could save the Makefile temporarily
(mv Makefile /tmp/Makefile), do the above commands, then create the local branch:

  git branch local

change to it:

  git checkout local

(note that checkout has a couple of related but different meanings).
Move the modified Makefile back and commit the changes:

  mv /tmp/Makefile .
  git commit -a

When it it time to pull again, you can change back to the (pristine)
master branch and pull:

  git checkout master
  git pull

Then you can rebase your local changes on top of the new bits:

  git rebase master local

It's a good way to keep a few local modifications and carry them forward to any new version of org (of course, if the new version and your changes change the same area of a file, you might end up with merge conflicts that
you'll have to resolve: but most of the time, it just works).

There's a description of how to do this local branch with rebase
automagically at

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#keeping-local-changes-current-with-Org-mode-development

There's not need to change back to the master branch - just pull (with
rebase) into your local branch.

-Bernt

Aloha Nick and Bernt,

Thanks for the very useful advice and the pointer to the FAQ that deals specifically with my situation. I very much appreciate not receiving a RTFM reply.

It turns out I had edited the top of the Makefile, per the instructions, to configure it to my Mac setup. To my mind, this edit was a "configuration" and not a "local change." When I looked through the FAQ I didn't stop to read "How can I keep local changes and still track Org mode development" because I hadn't made any changes to the lisp source of org-mode, so thought I couldn't possibly have made a "local change." I think I can see now how the distinction I was making between a "local change" and a "configuration" isn't sensible from a developer's point of view, but I'm not sure I would have been able to do so without falling back on my graduate school training in linguistic anthropology!

I'm looking forward to isolating my local changes from the master branch, a task I am scheduling now with C-c r ...

All the best,
Tom