[Orgmode] Re: Org-mode version 6.30d; Hide stars

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org-mode version 6.30d; Hide stars
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 14:33:21 -0400

Melton Low <address@hidden> writes:

> When I get a chance later today or this evening, I will try to
> identify which git commit the problem started for me.

For that you want to use 'git bisect'

You identify a commit that is bad (probably master) and a commit that is
good (some previous commit) and do something like

$ git bisect start $BAD $GOOD
   (ie git bisect start master master~20 -- where master is bad (showing
   the problem) and master~20 is a previous commit that does not have
   the problem.  You can identify the commits by SHA1, or as an ancestor
   of some branch tip)

git will do a binary search of the commits and checkout a commit between
$BAD and $GOOD for you to test.  I normally reload the org files from
source with C-u M-x org-reload and then redo my test for each of the
checkouts that git bisect picks.

If your test fails you do

  $ git bisect bad

and if it passes you do

  $ git bisect good

then git checks out a new commit for you to test.  This identifies the
bad commit very quickly.  It is also possible to automate this procedure
if you can provide a script that can test the checked out version for
success or failure and return a status of 0 or 1 appropriately.  See the
git bisect man page for more details.

HTH,
Bernt