[Orgmode] run emacs.exe -> point to specific .emacs

From: Erwin Panen
Subject: [Orgmode] run emacs.exe -> point to specific .emacs
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 12:41:24 +0200

Hi Group,

First off all thanks a lot for org-mode! I am trying to use it now for a couple of weeks, and it (Emacs AND org-mode) is really compelling:-) I've tried a lot from Outlook over Shadow-Plan and EccoPro. I'm using a mix of Linux and M$ XP, mainly XP at the time :-(

Goal:
- set up emacs  as a portable app on a portable 2.5" drive (or USB stick for that matter) to run on windows
- sync the org-mode files with a location on a server (GIT , is a directory sufficient, or does GIT need any installation on a linux box?)
- sync the same org-mode files n a linux laptop
- lastly, use the same USB drive org-mode files on a linux laptop.

Actions:
- tried to combine emacs with portable apps, but was unable to properly get this running (the .emacs location on the USB stick did not work out)
- alternatively tried to combine emacs with pstart (http://www.pegtop.net/start/)
    -> this works best now, tried this on a couple different machines, inspite of the drive picking up different drive letters (G, K, etc)
         Pstart enables me to set the proper variable to point to my \\usbstick\home\emacs-23.1\.emacs file.

Questions:
- Is there any command line parameter to point emacs to a specific /dir/subdir/.emacs_2 file?
    This would allow me to experiment with various subsets of .emacs settings?
- I realize emacs can be run in 'server - client' mode; is it possible to run emacs as a server on a windows box and remotely connect to this server from another windows box?
- GIT; could anybody point out a good git tutorial to get this up and running on a mixed windows / linux platform?

There's plenty of other questionmarks, but I don't want to overdo it and take it from here..

Thanks a lot for your help!

Erwin