Re: [Orgmode] Re: How to get \\ in title or author?

From: Tim Burt
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: How to get \\ in title or author?
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 17:08:46 -0400

Nick Dokos writes:
 > Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:

 > > > I've asked the question on FCTT (fr.comp.text.tex) and already got an
 > > > answer
 > > > of Maneul Pegourie-Gonnard (who is expert on that matter):
 > > >
 > > > http://groups.google.fr/group/fr.comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/1b1af2e5291270e2#
 > > >
 > > > Sorry (for the others), it's in French.
 > >
 > > Merci!   Here is a summary:
 > >
 > > - none of \\ \linebreak or \newline change a paragraph, they just start
 > >   a new line
 > >
 > > - with \linebreak, LaTeX tries to justify the resulting text, not with
 > >   \newline
 > >
 > > - \linebreak can take an argument to let LaTeX decides whether the line
 > >   should be broken or not.  The default \linebreak always triggers a
 > >   break, but \linebreak[2] will let LaTeX decides depending on whether
 > >   the result is acceptable or not, and \linebreak[0] prevents any line
 > >   break...
 > >
 > > - \\ can take two arguments: one star and one digit.  The star prevents
 > >   the line break to trigger a page break, and the digit lets you add a
 > >   vertical space between the two lines.
 > >
 > >   In environments like \flushleft \flushright \centering \raggedleft
 > >   \raggedright, \\ doesn't have its normal definition (whereas \newline
 > >   behaves normally).
 > >
 > > - \newline is the version of \\ with no argument
 > >

 > Bastien,
 >
 > Thanks for the summary. There is still one problem, I think, with #+AUTHOR:
 >
 >   \author{one \\ two}
 >
 > and
 >
 >   \author{one \linebreak two}
 >
 > behave differently (the \linebreak has no effect), so if one wants the
 > first behavior, the exporter's penchant to change \\ to
 > \\textbackslash{} will not allow it. I'm not sure why \title and \author
 > behave differently: I guess it's because \author is expanded inside a
 > \tabular, whereas \title is not.

Indeed, multiple authors should be separated by two backslashes (\\)
in the \author{} command[*] in the standard LaTeX classes
(e.g. article, report, book).  Nick has correctly noted that the
argument of \author{} is used inside a tabular environment, and \\ has
a special meaning that should be added to Bastien's summary above.
 - In a tabular environment the \\ is necessary to signal the
   end of one row and the beginning of the next.

So, from the perspective of standard LaTeX classes, any instance of \\
in the \author{} command should not be converted during export.

Good afternoon,
Tim

[*] Bastien has also reported that \\ works in a recent message to the
mailing list.  If that was an experimental result, then this reply
only adds theoretical support so that others don't have to get out
their LaTeX debugging skills and "dust them off" (as Nick said ;-).