[Orgmode] Re: Question re CATEGORY and Agenda Views

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Question re CATEGORY and Agenda Views
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 19:34:33 -0400

Markus Heller <address@hidden> writes:

> I apologize if this is RTFM, i couldn't find the answer.  Maybe it's
> also because of a misconception on my part.
>
> I have a .org file with the following setup (HEAVILY inspired by Bernt
> Hansen, http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html):
>
> * ABC1
>   :PROPERTIES:
>     :CATEGORY: Bugfixes
>     :PROJECT:  ABC1
>   :END:
> ** STARTED Find bugs
> ** STARTED Fix bugs
>
> * ABC2
>   :PROPERTIES:
>     :CATEGORY: Bugfixes
>     :PROJECT:  ABC2
>   :END:
> ** STARTED Find bugs
> ** STARTED Fix bugs
>
> So I have 2 different projects with identical tasks.  If I bring up
> the agenda and list all STARTED tasks, I get a list that looks like:
>
> Bugfixes:   STARTED Find bugs                  :NEXT:
> Bugfixes:   STARTED Fix bugs                   :NEXT:
> Bugfixes:   STARTED Find bugs                  :NEXT:
> Bugfixes:   STARTED Fix bugs                   :NEXT:
>
> So the first column is taken from the CATEGORY property.  How can I
> change this so that the actual project is displayed in the agenda
> view? I would expect that I'd have to use the PROJECT property, but
> how do I do this?  Or is my whole idea flawed?

By default, the first item in an agenda line is the CATEGORY. You can
change the appearance of agenda lines by setting
org-agenda-prefix-format, though you will not be able to display an
arbitrary property such as PROJECT. (AFAIK, you are limited to category,
tag, time of day, and scheduling information.)

There is no default functionality for a PROJECT property in org-mode.

Here are a few options I can think of:

1. Use the CATEGORY to designate the project (perhaps make BUGFIXES a
   tag).

2. Set up a column view for the agenda that allows you to view the
   project property.

3. Use a tag to designate the project. This would allow you to filter
   the agenda by project.

4. Use follow mode in the agenda to see the context (i.e., the project
   heading).

Hope this helps.

Matt