Re: [Orgmode] Bug in subtree narrowing

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Bug in subtree narrowing
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 07:22:44 +0100

On Sep 18, 2009, at 12:09 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

Hi Carsten,

org-tree-to-indirect-buffer does not include the final
newline.  This causes sorting to run two lines together.
For example, a headline can get joined to an :END: line.
This can cause a task to not be recognized.

Fixed for this case.

Sorting makes a lot of changes, so some users will not
notice the bug until much later.

I do not understand what this has to do with narrowing to a subtree?

org-narrow-to-subtree appears similar.

Fixed for this case as well.

A lot of user code might assume, as perhaps org-sort does,
that the final line has a newline.

The choice of solution I will leave to you :).

My preference is for the final newline to exist.

Are you suggesting that I should add the final newline?
Under what circumstances?
Are you aware of the variable `require-final-newline'? It might be for you?
I have turned it on.

- Carsten

This is
because it feels normal to me as a user.  If I go to the end
of the buffer, then up, I usually expect to be on the last
line.  If I manually kill a subtree (or a paragraph) I kill
to the beginning of the next line.  m-x mark-paragraph
appears to do this.  So does m-x kill-paragraph.

However, I will not file a bug on outline.
outline-mark-subtree (which org users use also) does not include the
final newline.
outline-end-of-subtree does (forward-char -1), which means
that it is deliberate.  There are likely to be factors that
I have not considered.

"Org-mode version 6.30trans (release_6.30d.814.gdacd)" .

Thanks.

Samuel

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis causes death (Jason et al. 2006)
and severe suffering.  Conflicts of interest are destroying