Re: [Orgmode] org-babel: interactive terminal support

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-babel: interactive terminal support
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:02:30 -0600

Benjamin Andresen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> after seeing org-babel I immediately thought of the eev project by
> Eduardo Ochs (http://angg.twu.net/)
>
> Basically I wanted to do what he does in this video:
> http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/anim/channels.anim.html

So if I understand the purpose is to evaluate source-code blocks in
Org-mode files which will open terminals in new windows, send shell
commands to those terminals, and either display information in the
terminals and possible insert output from those terminals into Org-mode
buffers?

I like the idea, however I can't get it working on my Mac.  I am able to
pop open new xterms, however nothing seems to make it into or out of
screen (maybe this is because I all ways have screen running as my
normal terminal emulator?).

Unfortunately I'm *really* short on time right now, but I hope to take a
closer look when I get a chance...

> So I wrote a small org-babel gnu screen interface.
> Eev does the same with "expect" but is very line-centric. And GNU Screen
> can slurp in whole files. (I guess one could support several backends if
> this proves useful)
>
> The translated org-babel syntax looks like this:
>
> * Listen on port 1234
>   #+begin_src screen :session receiver :results silent
>     netcat -l -p 1234
>   #+end_src
>
> * Send things to port 1234
>   #+begin_src screen :session sender :results silent
>     {
>      echo hi
>      sleep 1
>      echo bye
>      sleep 1
>     } | netcat -c localhost 1234
>   #+end_src
>
> I've put the code on github if anyone is interested in this:
> http://github.com/bandresen/org-babel-screen
>
> A few things are still hardcoded, like the use of /bin/zsh. If you guys
> think this is a worthwhile addition to org-babel

Yes, the code looks clean, and it looks like it would provide a new type
of functionality (live terminal output?) so I'd be very happy to include
this into Org-babel.

>, let me know what the
> right parameter would be.

I don't see where you have /bin/zsh hard-coded...

Thanks! -- Eric