Re: [Orgmode] Re: LaTeX export of images

From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: LaTeX export of images
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 10:04:59 -0300

At Fri, 2 Oct 2009 08:55:22 +0200,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2009, at 11:09 PM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>
> > Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

> >> +1 for default to inline graphics. When using Org for How-To and
> >> project
> >> documentation delivered as PDF, floating screenshot-size images
> >> typically
> >> situate far from the descriptive text.
> >
> > My point was mainly that, IMHO, floating or not should not be tied
> > to the
> > presence or absence of caption/label.
>
> I don't understand why not.  Can you try to explain again?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten
>

> > Your problem with screenshots far away should be solved by putting
> > the H
> > specifier to the float environment and loading the `float' package.
>
> Maybe we need a way to specify the figure placement argument in #
> +LaTeX_ATTR:
>
> Do we need to implement a way so that text can be made to flow around
> a figure, just as it is possible in HTML export?  What would be the
> right LaTeX package to use for this purpose?
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten
>

> >> I would prefer inline images by default (or option), and a file/
> >> subtree
> >> level option to use LaTeX floating layout.
> >
> > That'd be a great way to be able to specify which type of "inlining"
> > we want.
> > On a per file basis seems sufficient for me.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Seb
> >
> > --
> > Sébastien Vauban

The Latex wikibook
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Floats,_Figures_and_Captions#Wrapping_text_around_figures
suggests the wrapfigure package, but it also warns that some manual adjustments
is often required. Therefore, if this is implemented in the latex exporter it is
probably a good idea to provide options to include latex commands that will be
put before and after the \includegraphics command. See the example in the
section "Tip for figures with too much white space" of the wikibook where some
\vspace were used to adjust white space around the figure.

--
Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
address@hidden