[Orgmode] Re: allow emacs-lisp results to be pretty-printed

From: Benjamin Andresen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: allow emacs-lisp results to be pretty-printed
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 17:41:29 +0200

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Benny,
>
> Benjamin Andresen <address@hidden> writes:

>>> where should this special parameter be documented?
>>
>> I would add a page on Worg that is linked from org-babel.org that
>> contains the following.
>>
>> I have done this for org-babel-screen.org here:
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/org-babel-screen.php
>> (might not be visible yet, because Worg is only exported from git every
>> hour or so)
>>
>> Is that a good way to do this?
>>
>> * Header Arguments
>>   :PROPERTIES:
>>   :CUSTOM_ID: header-arguments
>>   :END:
>> - results :: supports everything documented
>>
>> [[file:org-babel.org::results%20arguments%20specify%20what%20should%20be%20done][here]]
>>   as well as
>>   - pp :: pretty prints results and replaces any previously inserted
>>           results from code block
>>

> There is currently a header-arguments [1] section to the Org-babel page
> on worg.  This is the place where this sort of documentation should be
> added.

I was talking about language specific documentation. I don't think every
language mode should be documented at [1]. That could become very big and
cumbersome to look through.

Yesterday I added a section called "Language specific documentation" under
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/org-babel.php#reference-and-documentation

And have the header arguments linked from there to here (first example):
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/org-babel-screen.php#header-arguments

> WRT the pp patch for emacs-lisp, I think it is an excellent addition and
> in fact I think that it points to a more general need.  Languages should
> have the option of returning values as they would appear when written in
> the language.  That is how they would be printed in a source-code file.
> This seems to be what your pp patch does for emacs-lisp.  In fact such
> output should be wrapped in a #+begin/end-src block for fontification of
> the results on export.

> Would you feel like attempting this change?  If not I will add it to the
> TODO section of the babel development file on worg.

I'm not comfortable enough with tackling that yet.

> Thanks! -- Eric

br,
benny