Re: [Orgmode] org-babel feature request

From: Maurizio Vitale
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-babel feature request
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:05:56 -0400

    Dan> Maurizio Vitale <address@hidden>
    >>
    Dan> Maurizio Vitale
    Dan> <address@hidden>
    Dan> writes:
    >>
    Dan> [...]
    >> sections. This way I could embed in the document the result that
    >> allowing >> the person following the recipe to evaluate again the
    >> shell >> script and get the results on his machine.

    >> physically >> read-only, but skipped by C-c C-c). The others may
    >> be >> re-evaluated over and over until the end user has a valid
    >>
    Dan> Hi Maurizio,
    >>
    Dan> Once I've obtained the results that I want to "freeze", I would
    Dan> manually alter (or even delete) the #+resname tag, so that the
    Dan> source block no longer overwrites it. Is that simple solution
    Dan> appropriate? I'm not yet seeing the advantage of the more
    Dan> complex possibilities.
    >>
    >> That is the obvious possibility, but at times you may want to
    >> re-evaluate those: either the configuration has changed, or the
    >> software you're documenting has changed or the script you're
    >> using is buggy.
    >>
    >> Yes you could reintroduce the #+resname tag when needed, but I'm
    >> hoping to get more automation than M-x shell-command-on-region.

    Dan> The other, perhaps nicer, thing you can do is change the
    Dan> #+srcname of the block which has the effect of changing the
    Dan> results block. You can do that now. But maybe we could allow
    Dan> the user to over-ride the default way in which the #+resname
    Dan> tag is set? E.g. by adding a :resname header argument.

    Dan> Something like this:

    Dan> #+srcname: test2 #+begin_src sh :resname test2-redirected expr
    Dan> 2 + 3 #+end_src

    Dan> #+resname: test2 : 4

    Dan> #+resname: test2-redirected : 5

    Dan> Do you think that would be worthwhile?

Too early for me to say. First reaction is that I don't see particular
advantages in the :resname method over the changing the src name to
justify the additional implementation effort.

What I think would be useful is a way to switch all results/srcnames in
a file by adding a prefix/suffix. So:
#+srcname test
would cause results to go to #+resname: test if
org-mode-babel-source-prefix is nil, but would go to
#+resname: example-test if
org-mode-babel-source-prefix is "example-"
and then org-mode-babel-source-prefix could be set somewhere in the
headers.
Maybe the #+resname which is updated could be marked with a '*' so that
if somebody does C-c C-c and doesn't see an update he's reminded that
the result block is not active because of a prefix.

Thanks for the suggestion of changing the source block name: it goes a
long way towards what I need.