Re: [Orgmode] Searching inside of attachments (pdf, odt)?

From: Tim O'Callaghan
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Searching inside of attachments (pdf, odt)?
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:31:05 +0200

FWIW

I think this might be handled easier if all that happened would be a
grep on the attachments, or directories.

The usual grep interface can be used and then it becomes a fast
general purpose data mining extension.

I can see it being used to search a codebase or website for a text string.

I guess it could be further refined with some kind of dispatcher -
like the file dispatcher that invokes a specific tool to view an
attachment, except it uses an attachment specific search or defaults
to grep if its not an emacs editable file.

Possibly an extension fo the current "file:<text-file>::<in buffer
search >", but uses this grep or whatever if it comes up against
something un-emacs-editable.

An added bonus of a search dispatcher type approach: it would give
users the chance to extend the search into whatever tool(s)/file
format(s) they are using without having to become core to org.

Just my 2eurocents worth:

Tim.