[Orgmode] Re: `C-u 2 S-Tab' with `#+STARTUP: odd'

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: `C-u 2 S-Tab' with `#+STARTUP: odd'
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:47:34 +0200

On Oct 12, 2009, at 10:00 PM, Michael Brand wrote:

I wonder how the function org-outline-level is intended to work. Should it show the outline level or count the stars like in org- version 6.31a and one has to take into account `odd' himself to get the outline level when implementing own stuff which use e. g. the function org-shifttab?
org-outline-level shows the number of stars, independently of org- odd-levels
Use
  (org-reduced-level (org-outline-level))
to get normalized levels.
Inside org, you need to check which function works with what kind
of level, this is unfortunately not entirely abstracted.
HTH
- Carsten

Thank you, exactly what I have missed. Allow me to mention that I would like this hint to be added to the Help documentation of org- outline-level where I looked before.

Done.

There is something more with org-outline-level in org-version 6.31a which I still don't understand because I am not aware of some functions used in its implementation. I drilled down the quite special situation to the following file content. I hope that the indentation of x by three spaces does not get lost in the mailing list archive:

-*- eval: (org-mode) -*-

After opening this file and confirming `eval', org-outline-level reports `3' (changes when changing the indentation of x) but I expect it to report someting like `0', `1000' or `1001' or similar like it does with variations like e. g.

-*- mode: org -*-

The function assumes that the cursor is located at the beginning
of an outline heading.  If it is not, it will return garbage.

HTH

- Carsten

- Carsten