[Orgmode] Re: [org-babel] Idea: Rendering output of code blocks inline (

From: Maurizio Vitale
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [org-babel] Idea: Rendering output of code blocks inline (like org links)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 23:42:28 -0400

    Eric> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:
    >> Hello list!
    >>
    >> I haven't still managed to get org-babel to work, but I do have a
    >> doubt that might turn into a feature request :)
    >>
    >> Would it be possible to have chunks of code around the buffer get
    >> evaluated when you close them with some kind of token, and them
    >> only show the output, *just like links behave*.
    >>
    >> When you create a link, you have the structure:
    >>
    >> [[/location][name]]
    >>
    >> As you know, when you close this string, the rendering changes,
    >> and only the name part is shown, styled as a link.

Hi Marcelo,

    Eric> 3) the results of a source code block are in no way
    Eric> constrained to be located after the body of the block.  In
    Eric> cases where they are not located near each other the body
    Eric> would be invisible (which is not desirable) and when viewing
    Eric> the results there would be no way to tell if there is or isn't
    Eric> a source-block hidden beneath it

For this to be useful for what the OP wanted to achieve it should be
possible to ask for re-evaluation when on the result block.

Also, it would be nice to be able to switch easily between source and
result blocks (maybe this is possible, haven't checked).

Maybe with this additional functionality one can get most of the
hiding-the-source functionality and put all the source blocks in the
final page of the document.

The only difference I see is that when switching to the source block you
loose the visual context around it.

Regards,

        Maurizio